1/18/10

...and other worldly mysteries.

So, when I last (or first) wrote, I was explaining all of the gory details of my lovely bones. As I remember, I left off just before going in for my second THR (total hip replacement, for all of you "non-hippies" out there). On October 29/09, my husband and I again found ourselves in the wonderful waiting area just outside the doors that led to the operating rooms. It was 6:30 am and I, along with several others, was naked, save for the always stylish, blue johnny shirt and housecoat (complete with paper booties). I had just been given a nice warm blanket and a little paper cup filled with tiny little pills. I was feeling fine and decided to ask my husband if he felt like having a Christmas party this year. Of course he did, we loved to entertain. I knew I would be in fine shape by December 15, or so, if my calculations served me right. A Christmas party would be fun. Soon after the decision was made, it was my turn to walk through the swinging doors and into a new life without pain and discomfort.

A couple of hours later, I began to wake up in the recovery room. It was all very similar to the first time and I felt quite comfortable and relaxed. When fully awake, the recovery nurse asked some standard questions just to make sure that I was ready to be transferred to my room. The last question was also standard, "Could you please wiggle your foot for me?". And again, "Could you please wiggle your foot for me?". Well, I thought I was wiggling my foot. Apparently not. Absolute and utter panic set in as I realized that I could not feel or move anything on my right side from mid-shin, down. I lost my mind and began to blubber uncontrollably as the nurse went to find my surgeon, Dr. D. In what seemed like seconds, he was there, by my side assuring me that everything would be OK. But how could this be OK? I had 2 kids to raise. What about them?

What follows is from an electronic journal I began shortly after the surgery. Be advised, the early stuff is somewhat drug induced and could possibly be quite cryptic. Enjoy!


RIGHT (OCT. 29, 2009)

· Woke from recovery with no feeling or movement in right foot (Stage 0).

· Right foot was freezing cold and tingly (paresthesia).

· Dr. D. said nerve damage, didn’t know how or why.

· D. estimated a 6-8 week recovery with a 95% chance.

· Ordered a CT scan to see if there were blood clots pressing on nerve.

· CT scan came back normal.

· Very slight wiggle downwards in first 3 toes.

· With eyes closed, couldn’t tell which toes were being touched.

NOVEMBER 2, 2009 (4 DAYS POST OP)

· Saw I. (neurosurgeon).

He did prick test with needle.

I could feel needle, inside of foot more sensation than outside of foot.

I. said he agreed with Dr. D. that nerve was not cut, but rather bruised or stretched.

He estimated a 3-6 month recovery.

· I told him it would be sooner for me.

· He was reserved, and said, “no, 3-6 months”.

· He ordered an EMG, which could only be done at 3 weeks.

· EMG appt. scheduled for Monday, Nov. 23, 2009.

· Saw OT and rep. from Curwin.

· Fitted for a daytime brace and nighttime “boot”.


NOVEMBER 3, 2009 (5 DAYS POST OP)

· Released from hospital and sent home.

· Very depressed, almost hopeless.

· Everyone tells me to be hopeful; it is difficult.

NOVEMBER 6, 2009 (8 DAYS POST OP)

· S. notices that I can move toes a little more.

· Can move the toes upward a little and downward a little.

· No flexion in the ankles YET.

· Still freezing cold.


NOVEMBER 9, 2009 (11 DAYS POST OP)

· Woke up in the morning in severe pain in the calf and foot.

· Could be muscular, I don’t know.


NOVEMBER 10, 2009 (12 DAYS POST OP)

· 4 am, woke up and foot felt warm and not tingly for first time since waking from surgery.

· Changed sleeping position, tingling started to come back.

· When S. woke up, he said my foot and leg felt warm.

· Foot and leg got cold again as the day progressed.


NOVEMBER 11, 2009 (13 DAYS POST OP)

· Foot and leg warm again last night and they still are (11:30 am).

· Still no more movement, however, in the middle of the night, heel felt somewhat normal and last 2 toes are moving a tiny bit better.

· Becoming more hopeful, still have crying jags, hope this changes when pain meds are no longer needed.

· Earlier today I saw slight movement from side to side.

· Just now, (7 pm) I saw slight movement upwards.

· It is possible that my calf muscle is helping with this, however, as of this morning, I couldn’t do this.

· I have been working very hard; it is almost like a workout at the gym.

· Just sitting there, working to see slight movement causes perspiration and fatigue.


NOVEMBER 12, 2009 (14 DAYS POST OP)

· More dorsiflexion (Stage 2).


NOVEMBER 13, 2009 (15 DAYS POST OP)

· Still working on the dorsiflex.

· Can’t do it while lying prone, can only do it sitting, knee bent.

· 6:30 pm, foot is still warm.

· Top of foot suddenly became very itchy.

· My mother is an amazing caregiver (just needed to add that).


NOVEMBER 16, 2009 (18 DAYS POST OP)

· Foot remained warm until yesterday.

· Has been cold since yesterday afternoon.

· A lot of nerve pain last night; couldn’t sleep.

· Seems as if, when foot is warm with no nerve pain, there is no progress.

· Today, sitting on raised seat, foot off ground, could slightly dorsiflex up and down (Stage 3).

· S. and Aidan are home from Maine.

· I am feeling a little less depressed and more hopeful.


NOVEMBER 17, 2009 (19 DAYS POST OP)

· Much more flexion up and down when leg is raised off ground.

· Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.


NOVEMBER 19 (21 DAYS POST OP)

· More flexion up and down.

· Small rotations to the left and right.

· Still having days and hours with freezing and paresthesia.

· Why do I have this sensation sometimes, but not always?

· EMG test is Monday.

· Hopeful for good results.

· S. has been wonderful and the kids are very helpful!


NOVEMBER 21 (23 DAYS POST OP)

· More dorsiflexion, left and right rotation, side to side.

· Saw I. today; he said motor function has progressed from stage 0 to stage 3.

· Periods of warm sensation minus pins and needles have increased.

· I am hopeful.


NOVEMBER 22 (24 DAYS POST OP)

· Not a lot of change today.

· A little less tingling, pins and needles.

· Very itchy.

· EMG tomorrow morning.


NOVEMBER 23 (24 DAYS POST OP)

· Had EMG today.

· They didn’t tell me a lot.

· Did say that there was activity in all the nerves tested, however, it will take “a long time” for recovery.

· I don’t know what to think.

· I feel somewhat letdown and sad.

· I am also beginning to get very angry.


NOVEMBER 26 (27 DAYS POST OP)

· Can now move big toe independently from others.

· Saw slight movement of toes upward.

· Movement seems to be increasing, however, sensation is horrific.

· Feels like I’ve had my foot in ice water for days.

· Also feel like something heavy has fallen on top of foot.

· Very tender and sore to touch.

· Everyday I stretch my achilles and calf muscle.

· Calf is very tight and sore, sometimes painful.

· Feeling better emotionally.

· Think I might attempt some Xmas shopping next week.

· Hope to put up some indoor décor this weekend.


NOVEMBER 31 (4 WEEKS, 4 DAYS POST OP)

· Big toe slightly bends at knuckle for first time.

· Went Xmas shopping for a few hours.

· Quite sore tonight.


DECEMBER 1 (4 WEEKS, 5 DAYS POST OP)

· Severe nerve pain last night and today.


DECEMBER 3 (5 WEEKS POST OP)

· Have been having severe nerve pain.

· Burning, sharp, searing.

· Can’t sleep at night.

· Also, yesterday, I put up the inside X-Mas décor (this is a good thing).

· However, now the hip is rockin’ with pain.

· Steve went out today and got me Neuragen.

· This is a topical solution, that is rubbed on affected area up to 5 times/day.

· Put it on at 1pm.

· The burning went away by 1:20 pm.

· It is now 2:25 and the pain is still gone.

· Lasted about 3 ½ hours.


DECEMBER 4 (5 WEEKS, 1 DAY POST OP)

· Severe burning, searing pain! Gone back to crutches because too painful to walk on foot.

· Motor function is progressing nicely.

· However, not able to enjoy the motor function, because it is very painful to move.

· Still haven’t heard from I. since he left the message on Tuesday.


DECEMBER 5 (5 WEEKS, 2 DAYS POST OP)

· Heard from I. last night.

· Not much new about Emg.

· “potential” for improvement.

· Prescribed Lyrica.

· I did a lot of research, didn’t like the side effects, and the prescription was $300.00.

· Passed on the Lyrica.

· Woke up today feeling a little better, not as much searing.

· Able to go back to cane and put pressure on foot.

· Now, as evening progresses, searing is coming back.

· Strangely, freezing cold sensation is also coming back.

· Still have motor function, but hurts to move foot again.


DECEMBER 6 (5 WEEKS, 3 DAYS POST OP)

· Still have the searing pain but not as bad as yesterday.

· Yesterday wasn’t as bad as previous day so I am hopeful for recovery.

· Steve put tree up today.

· This will be the first year that I have not been able to decorate the tree.

· I will suck it up and try to enjoy it.

· Yesterday, the pain seemed to increase as evening wore on.

· I will keep an eye on that tonight.

· Took a half a sleeping aid last night.

· Slept til 3:30 am then a couple of hours at a time after that.

· Don’t want to take a full one and be drowsy next day.

· Still on cane today.

· Disappointed at the regression.


DECEMBER 12 (6 WEEKS, 2 DAYS POST OP)

· Searing pain seems to be receeding.

· Only in the last 3 toes now.

· Still numbness and feels as if foot is wrapped in thick plastic.

· The freezing cold feeling is back as well.

· Motor function is still only about 85%.

· Still having a difficult time sleeping.

· Today my incision area is painful and bruised.

· I wonder if, now that the swelling is going down, compression of the nerve is lessened.


DECEMBER 13 (6 WEEKS, 3 DAYS POST OP)

· Was pain free today from 8 am – 4:30 pm.

· We were able to decorate the tree.

· Still had the weird , “saran-wrapped” sensation in the foot, but it was nice not to have the burn.

· It is back now and I’m sure will be full force tonight.

· My heel feels almost back to normal now.

· The pain and strange sensations seem to radiate from middle of the foot to end of toes.


DECEMBER 15 (6 WEEKS, 5 DAYS POST OP)

· 6 week check up.

· Hip is doing very well.

· Referred to a manual PT.

· Burning is only in last 2 toes and side of foot.

· Tight, wrapped feeling from ball of foot up to toes.


DECEMBER 17 (7 WEEKS POST OP)

· Went to physio.

· Definitely sciatic (peroneal) nerve palsy at L4, L5.

· Long assessment and acupuncture.

· I am still hopeful for a full recovery.


JANUARY 2 (2 MONTHS POST OP)

· Christmas is over.

· Some good days, some bad.

· Feeling good now.

· Calf is still tight and sore.

· Achilles is still very tight.

· PT is very good.

· About 85% motor function.

· About 75-80% sensory function.

· I think I will recover fully but the last little bit will take a while.

· Am driving now.


JANUARY 12 (10 WEEKS POST OP)

· Saw Dr. D. today.

· Foot has gone back to freezing cold, shocks, some burning at night.

· Dr. is concerned with the Achilles.

· Still a window of 6-12 mos. before surgery will be considered.

· I will not have surgery.

· Started wearing boot again every night regardless of burning.

· PT is going well.

· Still, not a lot of progress since last post.

· I am hopeful that now I am on the other side of the plateau and am on my way to full recovery.


1 comment:

  1. WOW!! It's amazing how similar our stories are eh Vanessa?? LOL.....You've experienced all of those crazy emotions and feelings I have!! I'm going back in on Friday for something...AAACKK!! It's under a local, so it'll be fine. Haven't told MOMMA...lol...not a good idea!! I haven't responded to your last email, which was WEEKS ago, but I will! Sorry, for that! I'm in the midst of year end bookkeeping and photography photography....I look forward to reading more!!! Nice job, never thought of doing that for my situation. Maybe it could have helped someone! "Keep your chin up!"

    ReplyDelete